Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bill to the S and Phil Sid.



So I'm writing my final term paper for my English class that specializes in the sonnets of Shakespeare's famous tragedies (Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello, King Lear). And while writing this paper.. and sometimes during lectures, I strongly think about William Shakespeare being alive and imagine him walking in on a lecture and saying: "What? That's not what I meant! What the eff are they teaching you?!". Of course I'm not discrediting any information regarding him, nor am I insinuating something "wrong" in the multitude of interpretations in the world, and I barely know anything about the guy.
But I often w o n d e r.
This also goes for any other famous historical literary figure.. like for instance Sir Philip Sidney. I'm using him in my paper to compare to Shakespeare, and wouldn't it be nice to interview these guys for a paper? The most primary of primary sources imaginable.
Now back to writing.

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND what you mean, like we have media & cultural theory here at Emily Carr and we're always analyzing artworks or films and the social/political/etc that it's spewing

    But often I'm just like "were they really thinking of making those statements, or are the teachers just in need of something to teach so they make this stuff up?"

    Like recently, we're analyzing uhh The Dark Knight and the 911 references in there, and it's interesting, but part of me goes "I don't really think they were thinking about that when making it, I think they just wanted to make a Batman action movie in contemporary setting"...

    ReplyDelete