Thursday, April 2, 2009

Karl Marx speaks Mandarin


So I was in Switzerland in December visiting my boyfriend. We went to Luzern after visiting his mother in Göschenen. We were walking around the city and about to cross a street to view the water (Lake Lucerne). Across the crosswalk, there was an older man in a suit. My boyfriend whispers to me that he looks kind of like Karl Marx. We start chuckling a bit, and then it's time to cross the street. As "Karl" walks toward us, we try to keep a straight face. When he passes us, he says in a very low voice to me: "Ni hao". This could be because there are many many Asian tourists in Lucerne but for some reason not in the rest of Switzerland, and since I'm Chinese, perhaps he was trying to practice his Mandarin on me. After "Karl" passed us, we immediately burst out laughing as we cross the street. It was the funniest and most unexpected thing to have happened in Lucerne. So we concluded that Karl Marx lives in Switzerland and speaks Mandarin.

No comments:

Post a Comment